Thursday 27 November 2008

Family History


I went off to Aldershot Family History Centre today - its provided as a free service by the Church of the Later Day Saints (Mormons). I'd asked them to get a copy of the parish register from St John the Baptist, Hoxton for me.

I went through it and found what MAY be my Great, Great Grandfather's baptism record. However on the 1851 census his place of birth is given as Cumberland Market (which is near Regent's Park) London. In this entry his parents are living in East Road, Hoxton. In 1851 there is another Richard Hamer who is in Whitechapel. He gives his place of birth as Whitechapel too. Whitechapel is about 1.5 miles away. Cumberland Market is about 3.5 miles.
In both cases they are living with their mother Mary and their father is not there. Two James Hamers died in London between 1841 and 1851. I guess I'll have to track both families for now.

No comments: